Admissions > Medical


MSP - Care Card

All international students are required to pay for medical coverage as a condition of their acceptance in the International Education Program. All international students must report with their passport and Study Permit to the International Education Program office upon arrival in our school district to apply for this coverage. Health Insurance B.C. – Medical Services Plan (MSP) will cover all international students after the end of a three month waiting period. MSP coverage is required by law in B.C. for all B.C. residents. To apply for this coverage, the international student or parent/legal guardian must apply at this office with the student’s passport and the current Study Permit upon arrival in the school district. At the end of the waiting period, MSP will mail a Care Card to the student’s home address. Once the student has a Care Card number, he or she will receive medical services in the same manner as all British Columbians. Each Care Card has an expiry date which is usually the same expiration date as the Study Permit. This is the date to when all students are eligible for coverage, not the date to when premiums have been paid. Premiums are paid by the International Education office to MSP on behalf of each international student while the student is enrolled in the program. When the student ceases to be part of the International Program, insurance benefits are then the responsibility of the student and parent/guardian. To renew the Care Card, students must provide the International Education office with a copy of the renewed Study Permit. This must be done every year while the international student remains part of the International Program in School District 43 (Coquitlam).

Private (temporary) Coverage

During the three-month waiting period for MSP coverage, the school district purchases private medical coverage on behalf of all international students: StudentGuard Upon arrival, each international student will receive an envelope from StudentGuard with an ID card, Policy and Claim Form. The international student must keep their ID card with them at all times and, in case of illness or injury, may visit any doctor. Some medical clinics will bill StudentGuard directly. If direct billing is not available, the student must pay the clinic directly and the doctor will complete the claim form including the doctor’s stamp and signature. The international student must mail the completed and signed claim form together with all original receipts to StudentGuard Claims at the address outlined on the claim form. If the student is hospitalized, the student or hospital should contact StudentGuard immediately at the numbers listed on the reverse of their ID card (24 hour Emergency Procedures). Should you have any concerns or questions, please contact our office at 604-936-5769.

Play video's mascot Turbo introduces students to their coverage options while they attend school in Canada. Visit if you're planning to study or work abroad to see how our insurance plans…